Monday, September 15, 2008

healthcare



After watching Sicko I was convinced that universal healthcare was the way to go. The man speaking at this Baltimore protest (above) makes me feel the same way. This is conflicting for me, since it gives our government more power. I think first our government needs to work for the people (aka the CARE part of healthcare). Then maybe we can work on the health aspect. One thing the speaker in the film mentioned is that we have public schools, and thus we should be able to have public healthcare too. But this does not address the problems that public schools have. Schools both vary in quality depending upon their location and the socioeconomic status (which is comparative to race). Doctors and hospitals would be provided in the same ways. Not that keeping healthcare the way it is now is better, seeing as it is all run on money via insurance companies. Universal healthcare will improve things now for most people, but will it continue to improve for all people?

This is just an idea I was considering. Maybe I'm way off... feel free to tell me how you feel!

-Stephanie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this is a very intelligent and comprehensive discussion. The piece that I would add is the concept of destroying all controlling institutions and leaving the responsibility of healthcare up to direct democracy, up to the communities. forcing us to work together. It will be really hard and there will be a period of chaos and a lot of people WILL get hurt but at least it wouldn't be based on systematic oppression that benefits only the ruling class...I feel would grow to be a driving factor in making anarchy actually work. But until we are able to smash the entire class structure, we are forced to compromise and liberalize from time to time. And in this case, yes, it is better-ish than what we have now. So I agree with how you feel about it. As rough as it is.