Sunday, January 4, 2009

mai 68

This is awesome, like as awesome as quantum science. I was watching clips of french new wave film on youtube since i left my dvds at school. This clip came across my path:

The clever slogan "pas de flics des films.." caught my attention. It translates to something like "films not cops" (i don't know french, so appoligizes for mistranslations). I'm a sucker for those slogans such as "make tea not war" & "make awkward sexual advances not war."
Next I consulted Wikipedia, naturally, to ge
t some more background. I vaguely remembered learning about the social unrest of the late 60's & 70's in France, vaguely...
What I find particularly incredible, aside from the outpo
uring of political graphic art that was produced by the students, is the use of expression & voice & mind. Wait! Nay, not even that. I find it delightful and refreshing and reassuring, ect. ect. that STUDENTS, young people were doing something. They were not only questioning convention, but in general life and the sense we are told to make of it and then what actually makes sense. The students acknowledge the nonsensical violence that the police and government blindly unleashed on peaceful protesters. The hypocrisy of a government that does not at all protect its citizens or their human rights & instead responds with force.
“The police post themselves at the School of Fine Arts – the Fine Arts’ students poster the streets.”

Here is some more art from the protests. It's soooo good! Let's
bring this type of expression back. I'm tired of design for designs sake. I want purpose, humor, & expression.


“A youth disturbed too often by the future.”


"Return to normal."

Lastly, I stumbled upon this website that sells gorgeous reprints of so so many of the may 68 posters and everyone's favorite british slogan "stay calm and carry on." check it out, and to the (if there is) anyone who reads this blog, feel more than invited to buy me this mug!!!:


No comments: